Saturday, December 24, 2005

part deux: i'm sleeping my way out of this one

I took a killer nap today.

Andrews, TX, is just that. Nothing too special, although there is a movie theatre here now and I saw The Chronicles of Narnia two nights ago with my mom. I loved it, I wanted to hug Aslan myself, I thought he looked so real. Other than that, it smells like crude oil here, but that is nothing new (some people say "Smells like money!!!" which out here, it really does...); went to Sonic, and wrapped Christmas gifts. In animal news around the Bass household, the kitty, Buddy (I didn't name him), attacked me yesterday morning then proceeded to eat a hole in my red and green flannel pillowcase. What a jerk. Well I will have the last laugh when his litterbox is festive the next day or two (good thing it is not my job to scoop).

Next on the list. Well I don't know, thats really been my life the past week and a half or so. For those who care, things with Guy settled I guess. We haven't spoken much since the break, which I have mixed reviews about. I'm trying things this way (whatever this way is) and thinking about how it sucks to even have to be concious of things like this instead of "just being." I know that may make no sense at all, but maybe one day it will to at least one of you.

What else did I spout off about in my previous blogs? Ha, not a lot, sorry about that, I just get consumed. Personal relationships are a huge priority for me. I do not know how I would function without other people, despite the fact that I adore "my time." I believe that to a certain extent other defines self, and without knowing other how can you expect to know self? Maybe that is why people are so important to me, I know that through those relationships I am opened to so many new things about myself, the world, that person; maybe I am just too curious by nature. Other people affect me on all kinds of levels and even though it is hard and painful sometimes, I would not have it any other way. I love my friends, the close ones, the ones I lose contact with, the ones I only know a little bit about, and the ones I am still getting to know. I am one of those believers in "people come into your life for a reason;" I do not think that people just come in and out--although there are definately entrances and exits. The feeling of a connection with someone is exhilierating to me. I know you have all had it. Something just clicks. That feeling is exciting, something new to explore, I relish in it. I was lucky enough to have that this past semester, granted there were/are/I don't know some rocks, but I found a new connection with someone. Even when I was completely closed off to new connections, becuase to be perfectly honest I had been. I did not want to mess with it. But God knew I needed otherwise I guess. Once again shaken not stirred. I thank God for being relational and making us that way too.

HUGE tangent. But maybe you got something out of it. Maybe I just needed to say all of that, I spending time alone this week has caused me to be self-reflective ad nauseum. I'm okay with it though.

Today is Christmas and going to church this morning, I'm not sure what I expected, maybe more Christmas-y birth of Jesus type things, but I didn't get any of that. I mean the message was still good: forgiveness. I could spend a few paragraphs discussing forgiveness in my life. But that can be for some other time. The song leader picked songs all in the 300's within about 10 pages of each other, all sort of droned on a bit, but it was funny "Number 356.....Number 347 ." So on and so forth. I was thinking about the service when I was sitting in it and thought it didn't fit the Christmas-y mood, but that was okay. I think I just need some good old holiday songs that aren't "Rudolph." Speaking of holiday songs, at Highland in Abilene, Mike Cope was doing a series on Christmas hymns. I was able to catch one of them (the series started between Thanksgiving and the last week of school) and thought it was interesting and different. I enjoy the histories of songs, the one that morning was "What Child is This?" and apparently the tune is from a popular tavern song talking about cider and dirnking and women. Weird how the "new" verses just stuck. I love how even the "Jesus" Christmas songs have permeated popular culture (how many covers of "Oh Holy Night" have we heard--thank you Mariah Carey and Jessica Simpson) but we don't really think of them as"church" songs or "praise" songs. But they are right?

Okay sorry that was a weird tangent, but I've missed hearing those songs this year. Maybe I need to break out some old Christmas tapes and listen while I still have 3 hours left on the Christmas clock.

The "real world" starts January 3.

Merry Christmas to all my loves. Yes, I'm talking to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home