Saturday, June 17, 2006

where the air is rarefied

It is birthday eve! Well technically, although I doubt the time on this post will reflect as much, it is officially my 23rd birthday. What? How did I get this far? I don't mean that in the I-have-reckless-behavior sense, although at times it is applicable, but I just mean how did I get this far and not notice? It seems at some point on some annual occasion it is inevitable for people to get nostalgic, wondering where the time has gone and what they have done with it. We'll save that for another day. Everyone always asks you what your plans are for your birthday. I don't really have any, but that is okay. It is my first birthday not to be around family or lots of friends, which is a little weird in theory for me, but not so weird in practice. I just mean that to say it doesn't bother me so much as I thought it might. Birthdays are funny like that. Sort of a weird "holiday," but always enjoyable. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like mine. It will be fun. I just know it.

Today I got a pedicure and the nail lady was funny. So was her husband, they were both really excited about the World Cup match between the US and Italy. When she handed me my shoes she said "long feet," and I just said "yeah, I know." It was funny, usually total strangers don't remark on the size of your feet, regardless of how large they are. She is funny though, usually our conversations consist of two or three word questions or remarks that she sends in my general direction with a giant smile to have me respond in two or three words with a giant smile.

I also rented two movies, neither of which I have watched yet, and bought two books. I'm a book-aholic. I finished one of them tonight, which I didn't mean to do, but I just got caught up. One of the plotlines is so easily identified with for me that I just couldn't not read it. It was weird. Totally weird. I'll share some the high points some time. Just uncanny how paralell it is.

The sky was a pretty gray tonight. And it rained. It smelled so good outside, I love summer rain.

Oh and a Happy Birthday to Emily!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home