Thursday, March 30, 2006

i'm walking on a wire, running out of time

Okay so today was fairly uneventful, although I have written more obituaries at work in the past three months than the past three years. I actually think this will be my last stint at ACU for awhile though. For real. Yeah I know I've told all of you that before, and I had a couple of weeks where I wasn't there, but I knew that I would be up there this week. But they haven't talked with me anymore about coming back, soooooo, farewell college job. So weird.

Anyways, ABC has been showing special editions of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. They are doing rebuilding in the gulf coast, and I caught part of one tonight. It was so good. Next week looks great too. Tonight they were in Bayton, Miss., which had been hit mostly by Wilma. Apparently this town LOVES little league baseball, one of their teams lost the Little League World Series last year, so they are hardcore, but the fields were destroyed by the storm. So ABC set out to rebuild one of the fields, and the spotlight was on a team of nine year olds and Coach Ed. The team got to go to spring training with the Florida Marlins, and they had their own mini-Marlins uniforms and the players came out and coached them some, it was awesome to watch their little faces, and Coach Ed was so great, he was so happy for those kids and it was dead obvious how devoted he was. So anyways, the redo one of the fields and it is gorgeous and hurricane proofed (as much as possible) and when they revealed it the kids said things like "The is the bestest day," and "We have our field of dreams." They were just jumping and running around the bases, and when the reveal happened, Coach Ed bent down and the whole team just ran over and he put his arms around all of the them the best he could in a huge hug. Come to find out, and electronic company has donated the money to complete the other four fields. Needless to say I was in tears, the entire time. Not just little ones, I was sobbing. The head of the electronics company was presenting the check (he wasn't even from the community) and he said that he knows the kids will grow up and remember this and do the same thing for other people. I just love that attitude, and in a world where it seems like the negative is always focused on, I think it reminds us to breathe when we realize there are other people out there who have hearts of service and kindness. At least that is what it does for me, and I love the idea that people are so inspired to want to just help out and love the people around them, even if they are complete strangers. So great.

Tomorrow is Friday, here comes the weekend. I'm not sure what else I have to say, not much. Oh yeah, The O.C.?? I have been completely disappointed lately, but tonight was an improvement. Though, Marissa and coke? I mean come on, she was already drunk at school.... then Sadie tries to pick up and leave and Marissa plays the unselfish card for once, but only to hang out with psycho surf dude and inhale scary drugs (that looked unsettlingly like powdered sugar) while sitting on the beach? By the look on her face it seemed like she figured out that yes, coke does hurt when you decide to breathe it up your nose. Not that I know from experience, but come on, first TJ, then the obsessive alcoholism in season 2 and now coke and smoking out the trailerhouse? She's killing me. Anyways, thats all I have to say about that. Until next week with the Cohens.

I got some Fun Dip tonight. I feel like I'm 12. Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home