Wednesday, June 28, 2006

hello world

The quick version just in case someone reading this doesn't already know: last week I got a job in Oklahoma City. At Tate Publishing. I'll be an editor and I start on July 10. So I have a week a half remaining to pack up my life and move. It is weird and exciting, and I'm just hoping that it all comes together. Kylie and Eric live up there, Kylie actually works at the same place--so that is a huge blessing, and Mike Booker lives there too. So I will know a couple of people and that is good.

I really need to pack today.

Some things that have gone through my head:
Moving is something I haven't done in awhile. 12 years actually. My parents moved away from Abilene, but I haven't yet, and last week I realized that I am leaving home. We all complain about this little town, but it isn't too bad. I'm not scared to leave, that isn't it at all, just sentimental I guess. Abilene has been good to me.

Saying "goodbyes." That is a sensitive thing. I've said "goodbyes" to my bests already, a long time ago, but we say "hello" a lot too, so there is just an understanding, so this isn't about them really. There aren't too many people left in Abilene that I would call close friends of mine, but there are a few and they will be dearly missed. I've already said "goodbye" to one, well two really, and there are a few more coming up in the next few days I think. Sigh. Some "goodbyes" aren't even really that. They are more like "talk to you soons." Then there are the "goodbyes" that you leave and you know the liklihood of you ever seeing/speaking to that person purposefully-in order to further your relationship-is slim to none, but neither of you has a problem with that, so it really isn't a big deal. Those usually happen at times like graduation, with people that you only saw in passing. What is weird is when that happens with someone you thought was a "talk to you soon." But it usually doesn't happen that way with the "talk to you soons" and I don't forsee that happening with any of the people that I have classified as good friends here. Which I like, because those few people here have seen me at one of the weirdest times in my life thus far and they have muddled through with me despite my excessive displays of emotion (I'm pretty sure I've cried more in the past 3 months than in the past 3 years), and have constantly reassured me. I have no idea what role any of these people will play in my life in the future, but the role they have played so far has been significant, despite the short time I have known them (some as few as 5 months--AK!!!). They have seen the absolute best and worst of me (sorry about the latter), we've gone through a lot, but we've stuck for some reason or another, and I can only be thankful for having them put in my life. I didn't always understand in some situations, and maybe I never will, but I know these people are true. Otherwise they'd be long gone. But to those people, and you know who you are, thanks. I could thank you for a lot of things, but this is neither the time nor place, and I've already said too much, so thanks will have to suffice. :)

When you have big news, you realize who the most important people in your life are, because those are the people you tell the soonest, when you may have never considered their place in your life before. It can be startling, comforting and slightly disorienting all at the same time when you realize who your "persons" are.

Okay I had no intention of this becoming emotional and more like an Oscar acceptance speech than a blog. I guess I wasn't quite ready to tackle cleaning out my desk, which I have been dreading. I don't even like having a desk in my room. I never use it. It is storage basically. I'm just not a desk at home type person. Maybe I will keep putting it off until after lunch. I drove by this place downtown yesterday a building on which the only sign was "Garage Sale." It looked like they might have some interesting things, so I thought I would go check it out today. Yeah, that is what I want to do. They had this really neat birdcage in the window (no, MB, I'm not 70 years old) and it maybe totally lame once I actually see it up close, but I thought it might have some potential. And no I wouldn't actually get a bird. Birds as pets have always kind of weirded me out.

Listening: (Whats the Story) Morning Glory?, Oasis

1 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

well you should know that i'm angry and i hate you since we have yet to play disc golf. or regular golf for that matter. you have a week and a half.

go.

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home